The first nine ‘Justice First’ fellows have qualified as solicitors. The lawyers had joined the Legal Education Foundation’s scheme in its first year in 2014 and trained with organisations including the Public Law Project, Coram Children’s Legal Centre, and Coventry Law Centre.
You can read interviews with the fellows on LegalVoice here.
The nine fellows are Melissa Darnbrough (Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit); Deidre Flanigan (Govan Law Centre); Fanny Forest (Coventry Law Centre); Maryam Hussain (Deighton Pierce Glynn); Nadia Hussain (Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit); Helen Roberts (Speakeasy Advice Centre); Debra Robinson (Staffordshire North and Stoke on Trent Citizens Advice Bureaux); Amber Rowsell (Coram Children’s Legal Centre); and Katy Watts (Public Law Project).
Another nine Fellows are due to qualify as solicitors in early 2018 and 15 in late 2018/early 2019, including the first two barrister Fellows.
‘The fellowship scheme felt like a ray of hope, coming at a time of legal aid cuts and closures in the advice sector,’ commented Denise McDowell, director of Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit. ‘The financial contribution is important – without it, we would never have been able to find the money for a new post – but it’s more than that. It is about optimism, and investing in the future and saying “We are not done yet
- JusticeWatch: ‘We need to love legal aid – as we do the NHS’ - 13th September 2019
- JusticeWatch: a justice system ‘breaking at every point’ - 6th September 2019
- JusticeWatch: Chronically under-funded - 30th August 2019
- JusticeWatch: 2019 Justice First Fellowship scheme opens - 23rd August 2019
- JusticeWatch: Legal aid at 70 - 2nd August 2019
- JusticeWatch: criminal justice’s ‘perfect storm’ - 26th July 2019
- Oracle SQL Certifications – Tips & Tricks to Pass with Exam2pass Practice Tests - 22nd July 2019
- Microsoft MTA Certification Practice Test Websites & Top Websites to Prepare - 22nd July 2019
- JusticeWatch: Legal Aid Matters - 19th July 2019
- Justcie Watch: LALY 2019 winners - 12th July 2019