The number of judges from an ethnic minority background dropped to just five percent this year, according to the latest figures on judicial diversity. Just over one in five High Court Judges were women, 22 out of 106; over half of the 85 court judges under 40 years of age were women (51%); and in tribunals, almost two-thirds of 56 judges under 40 were women (64%, up from 56% last year).
About one third of court judges (34%) and two thirds (65%) of tribunal judges came from non-barrister backgrounds. ‘While solicitors are well represented as tribunal judges, the senior ranks of the judiciary remain a relatively closed shop,’ commented the Law Society. ‘The fall in court judges from the solicitor profession – down two percentage points since last year – is unwelcome, and underscores there is much more to do.’
Chancery Lane said – noting that the percentage of female judges was ‘still in the 20s’ and of BAME judges in ‘single digits’ – the latest figures were a case of ‘some progress but must try harder’.
- Eight out of 39 Court of Appeal judges were women;
- 22 out of 106 High Court Judges were women (21 per cent);
- In the courts the percentage of female judges has increased from April 2015 to April 2016 from 25% to 28%. In tribunals it remained stable at 45% ;
- The number of female circuit judges increased from 146 in April 2015 to 160 in April 2016;
- The percentage of judges who identify as Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic was 5% in courts and in tribunals 9%;
- A third of court judges and two thirds of tribunal judges were from non-barrister backgrounds.
- Justice Watch: LASPO review ‘an abdication of responsibility’ - 15th February 2019
- Proposals for specialist Housing Court risk ‘serious injustice’ - 1st February 2019
- JusticeWatch: Grayling’s nihilistic legacy - 25th January 2019
- JusticeWatch: LASPO review ‘nearly done’… - 18th January 2019
- JusticeWatch: Making a mockery of justice - 11th January 2019
- Christmas at the foodbank: ‘I’m living off food vouchers’ - 21st December 2018
- JusticeWatch: ‘A disappearing fig leaf exposing the shame of injustice’ - 14th December 2018
- JusticeWatch: ‘The dead rat is still there…’ - 7th December 2018
- Labour vows to reinstate legal aid for benefit apeals - 6th December 2018
- JusticeWatch: A lawyer-free zone - 30th November 2018